Tuesday 26 June 2012

Interview: Noel Clarke talks Doctor Who, new film Storage 24 and filling a thong 'pretty well'. Gulp.


Interview: Noel Clarke talks Doctor Who, new film Storage 24 and filling a thong 'pretty well'. Gulp.

He's a British actor, screenwriter and producer famous for his work on Fast Girls, Doctor Who, Kidulthood, Adulthood, Robin Hood, Little Red Riding Hood... wait a minute... not the last two.

He's also the guy behind new sci-fi horror Storage 24; if you like scary aliens and lots of disembowelment - and who doesn't? - you'll love it.

We caught up with the multi-talented Noel Clarke to find out what it's like running away from creepy space monsters on a regular basis and just how well he fills a thong...

Your new film Storage 24 is a sci-fi horror movie, so what made you want to do this kind of movie?

I've always wanted to do a sci-fi film; I've always been a fan of sci-fi and comic book stuff. And I love Star Trek and Star Wars. The director Johannes Roberts brought the horror element to the film because I'm not necessarily a big horror fan.

Have you got a favourite sci-fi film?

Probably Star Wars; but I quite like Alien as well. Then again I also like the popcornie nonsense ones like Independence Day.

So you wrote the screenplay, produced and starred in the movie – how did you find doing all of that at?

It's kind of just what I do. I love writing, so I'm always writing. I just came up with the idea, and then got a couple of other people to do bits on it. It's not that difficult because once it's written, it's written. Then it's all just about being in the movie and producing it. But there are always other producers that we bring in to help. Then all I had to do was become a weedy, wimpy character.

Was working on Storage 24 anything like your time on Doctor Who?

In terms of running from fantasy creatures, yeah. But I think my scared face and my running from monsters technique was slightly more advanced this time – having done it a few times before. But they're both different things – Doctor Who was a big TV show with a huge crew, and Storage 24 is quite a small film that was punching above its weight; being quite ambitious.

Is there any chance we'll see you on Doctor Who again?

I've got no idea – I'm not chasing it. I've kind of got my own thing going on. If they were to call up, then there would be a conversation about it, but it's not something I'm actively pursuing.

What's been your favourite project to work on so far?

I quite liked Adulthood and I quite liked 4. 3. 2. 1. That was the film the made all these other things possible, because 4. 3. 2. 1 was so different – it was about four girls trying to kick arse. That film showed people that I could write different things. And I also enjoyed working on Storage 24; I'm really proud of that one.

When did you realise you'd made it?

Pfft, I haven't made it! I think anyone who thinks they've made it is in for a fall. Because that's when you get complacent and you start getting an ego. I haven't achieved even a quarter of the things I want to achieve.

Have there been any ladies you've particularly enjoyed working with?

Camille Coduri, who plays Billie's [Piper] mum in Doctor Who. She's a really cool woman and she's actually godmother to my son. But in terms of the kind of stories you're looking for, no not really!

Is there anyone you'd really like to work with in the future?

Denzel Washington. I've heard he can be difficult though. And Emily Blunt – I think she's awesome.

Is there a dream role you've always wanted to play – James Bond maybe?

I'd love to play a Jason Bourne type thing. I don't think I'd ever be a James Bond type though.

What's your favourite film of all time?

I've got too many; it depends what mood I wake up in. I've always loved Pulp Fiction, Clerks and Amelie.

Those are all pretty cool, but have you got any guilty film pleasures?

Never Been Kissed, She's All That – Rachael Leigh Cook was so good in that, and so obviously not a nerd – they just put glasses on her.

Taking a trip down memory lane, what was it like wearing a thong, fur coat and chaps in the TV show Metrosexuality all those years ago?

It was cool. If you're an actor that's what you do. Besides, I can fill a thong pretty well, so I wasn't concerned about that; you can find the pictures on Google I'm sure. (Don't bother. We've hunted high and low and we can't find them) It's roles like that where you decide if you're an actor or just a person who likes acting. I mean I wouldn't wear that outfit in real life…

So what's next for you?

Storage 24 of course, and then I have a wedding romcom called The Knot coming out in October, which some people have described as Bridesmaids meets The Hangover. It's really funny and sweet, and guys can enjoy it as much as the girls.

Storage 24 hits UK cinemas 29 June.

0 comments:

Post a Comment